Coughing is an important bodily function for both humans and animals alike, but it’s especially concerning when it persists or worsens in our furry friends. Understanding the causes and symptoms of canine coughing can help pet owners find the best cough medicine for their pets. Cough suppressants, antibiotics, expectorants, and other medications may be prescribed to address a variety of conditions underlying canine coughing. Read on to learn more about the best cough medicine for dogs.
Cough Medicine for Dogs: Best Picks
- PetMD Cough Relief Soft Chews
- Nutri-Vet Cough Syrup for Dogs
- Vet’s Best Cough Syrup for Dogs
- Doxyvet C2 Cough Syrup
- Vet Classics Cough Syrup
- Nu-Pet Cough Syrup for Dogs
- Vetoquinol Care Bronchial Syrup
- Himalaya Airways Bronchial Syrup
- NaturVet Broncho-Soothe Cough Syrup
- PetNC Natural Care Allergy & Skin Support Cough Syrup
PetMD Cough Relief Soft Chews
PetMD Cough Relief Soft Chews are among the best cough medicines for dogs because they are made with natural ingredients like honey, which helps to soothe the throat, and herbs like echinacea to help support general wellness and the immune system. They are easy to feed to your dog – they taste like treats! – and are free from artificial flavoring, colors, and fillers. In addition, they help to provide short-term relief of coughs due to minor throat irritation associated with kennel and other respiratory irritants. This makes them great for general cough relief, as well as helping your dog overcome a particular source of irritation.
Nutri-Vet Cough Syrup for Dogs
Nutri-Vet Cough Syrup for Dogs is among the best cough medicine for dogs because it contains clinically proven ingredients, including natural essential oils, honey, and eucalyptus, which help to reduce coughing, phlegm, and nasal stuffiness. Additionally, the syrup is drug-free, meaning that it does not contain potentially harmful drugs like other cough syrups. Finally, Nutri-Vet Cough Syrup for Dogs is safe to give to dogs of all ages and sizes, and it can be used either as a preventative during the cold season or to treat an existing cough.
Vet’s Best Cough Syrup for Dogs
Vet’s Best Cough Syrup for Dogs is among the best cough medicines for dogs because of its all-natural ingredients such as honey, elderberries, and marshmallow root, all of which are known for their soothing, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has no harsh chemicals or added fillers, so owners can trust the formula to provide a natural, safe solution to their pet’s cough. The syrup also works quickly, relieving discomfort and coughing within a few days of use. The formula is easy to administer and can be used in conjunction with other treatments. Finally, Vet’s Best Cough Syrup is available in both liquid and granule form, so owners can choose whichever is most comfortable for their pet.
Doxyvet C2 Cough Syrup
Doxyvet C2 Cough Syrup is among the best cough medicines for dogs because it has effective ingredients proven to help treat many of the underlying causes of coughs in dogs, including upper respiratory infections, allergies, and other conditions. Doxyvet C2 also contains antibacterial agents that help reduce cessation and inflammation in the throat and lungs, and its mucolytic action reduces the thickness of mucus secretions, providing relief to the irritated throat and promoting the expectoration of unwanted material. On top of that, Doxyvet C2 is administered orally instead of by injection, making it easier to use. Finally, it is safe to use on both cats and dogs.
Vet Classics Cough Syrup
Vet Classics Cough Syrup is among the best cough medicines for dogs because it has been specifically formulated to address coughing issues in dogs. The syrup contains a blend of ingredients known to help reduce coughing and remove excess mucous from the lungs. These ingredients include honey, amino acids, herbs, and other natural substances. The syrup also contains a safe dose of dextromethorphan which is an effective cough suppressant without causing serious side effects. Additionally, Vet Classics Cough Syrup has been designed to be very easy to administer, as it comes in a simple-to-use and tasty flavor that your pup is sure to love.
Nu-Pet Cough Syrup for Dogs
Nu-Pet Cough Syrup for Dogs is among the best cough medicines for dogs due to its natural and holistic active ingredients, free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. It also contains herbs that can help reduce inflammation, ease chest congestion, and soothe irritated throat and airway tissues. Additionally, it helps to thin and loosen mucus, calm allergies, and boost immunity, all of which contribute to healthier respiratory function. The syrup’s taste has also been designed to appeal to dogs, which makes administering the medication and maintaining compliance much easier.
Vetoquinol Care Bronchial Syrup
Vetoquinol Care Bronchial Syrup is among the best cough medicines for dogs because it helps to reduce coughing, maintain respiratory health, and soothe irritation. This syrup contains natural herbs such as mullein, grindelia, and honey, which help to reduce swelling in the airways, support the respiratory system, and promote healthy bacteria in the respiratory tract. The syrup also contains eucalyptus oil, which has antiseptic and expectorant properties that help to loosen mucus. Additionally, the syrup comes in a palatable formula that makes it easier for dogs to consume.
Himalaya Airways Bronchial Syrup
Himalaya Airways Bronchial Syrup is among the best cough medicines for dogs because it contains natural herbs and ingredients that are known to effectively treat a variety of respiratory ailments, including coughs. The formula is extremely mild, making it safe for use in both cats and dogs. In addition, it has a pleasant taste and is easy to administer. The syrup is also sugar-free and alcohol-free, and may potentially reduce the severity of symptoms associated with respiratory illnesses.
NaturVet Broncho-Soothe Cough Syrup
NaturVet Broncho-Soothe Cough Syrup is among the best cough medicines for dogs because it contains both plant-based ingredients and pharmaceutical-grade compounds to allow for fast, effective, and gentle relief. It helps to reduce irritation and inflammation in the airways and contains Dextromethorphan, an expectorant that helps to loosen and expel mucus. Additionally, it is sugar-free, alcohol-free, and has a delicious flavor that most dogs enjoy. This makes it safe and gentle for canine use while still delivering relief quickly.
PetNC Natural Care Allergy & Skin Support Cough Syrup
PetNC Natural Care Allergy & Skin Support Cough Syrup is among the best Cough Medicines for Dogs because it is all-natural and formulated specifically for pet needs. The syrup is formulated with organic honey, which is great at relieving wet or dry coughs and contains herbs that fight inflammation and help to soothe the cough. It also helps to support dry, itchy or irritated skin caused by allergies and contains vitamins A and E which are essential in maintaining healthy skin. Lastly, it is easy to administer and is safe to use as directed.
Why Do Dogs Cough?
Dogs can cough for a variety of reasons, but the most common cause is a respiratory infection. They can also cough from an allergic reaction, heartworm disease, stomach issues, and kennel cough. If a dog is coughing it is important to take them to the vet, as there may be an underlying health issue that needs to be addressed.
Human Cough Medicine for Dogs
Human cough medicine is not generally recommended for dogs as there are risks involved. Speak with your veterinarian to determine the best treatment plan for your pet’s respiratory condition. Your vet may recommend medications specifically formulated for dogs, such as an antihistamine or a bronchodilator, as well as supplements or specific diets. They may also provide at-home tips, such as an air purifier or vaporizer, to help reduce your pet’s coughing.
Cough Syrup for Dogs Homemade
- 1 teaspoon clear, honey-based, natural cough syrup
- 1 teaspoon unrefined vegetable glycerin
- 2 teaspoons natural apple cider vinegar (with ‘the mother’)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa syrup or rice syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon organic slippery elm powder
- 2 tablespoons of distilled, filtered water
- In a small bowl, combine the honey-based cough syrup, glycerin, apple cider vinegar, coco/rice syrup, and slippery elm powder with the water, and stir to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture into an average-sized medicine dropper, and administer it directly to your dog’s mouth.
- Give the mixture to your dog daily, on an empty stomach, or at least one hour before a meal. It is recommended to give the mixture twice daily, or as needed to provide relief for your dog’s coughing.
How To Safely Give Dogs Cough Medicine
In order to safely give your dog cough medicine, you should follow these steps:
- Talk to your Veterinarian. The first and most important step is consulting with your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your dog’s cough.
- Accurately Measure the Appropriate Amount of Medicine. It is important to make sure you accurately measure the appropriate amount of cough medicine for your dog’s weight and condition. Your veterinarian will advise you on the correct dosage for your dog.
- Administer the Medicine in the Correct Form. When giving your dog cough medicine, it is important to administer it in the proper form, such as liquid or pill. Depending on the type of medicine, it might be best to disguise it as food or a treat.
- Monitor Your Dog Closely After Administration. After you have given your dog cough medicine, it is important to monitor them closely for any adverse reactions or side effects. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Follow the Appropriate Treatment Plan. If your veterinarian has prescribed your dog cough medicine, make sure to follow their instructions and duration of treatment. Do not stop giving your dog the medication too early as this could lead to the recurrence of the cough.
Q. What human cough medicine can I give my dog?
A. No, you should not give your dog any cough medicine made for humans. Speak with your veterinarian about the appropriate medication for your dog’s condition.
Q. How do you stop a persistent cough in a dog?
A. Treating the underlying cause of the persistent cough is the best way to stop it.
Q. Is There Cough Medicine for Dogs?
A. Yes, there is over-the-counter cough medicine specifically for dogs.
Q. Can I Give My Dog Human Cough Medicine?
A. No, you cannot give your dog human cough medicine. Consult your veterinarian for appropriate medication.
When choosing a cough medicine for dogs, the best pick is one that contains natural ingredients. Natural medicines are likely to have fewer side effects and are gentler on your pet’s body. Look for cough medicines that contain honey, apple cider vinegar, or herbs that are known to help with coughing, such as ginger or marshmallow root. Consider consulting with your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication and always follow the instructions included with the product.