The Black Australian Shepherd is a breed of Australian Shepherd that is more specifically bred for black coloring, rather than a variety of colors and markings found in other Australian Shepherds. The Black Australian Shepherd comes from dogs bred in Australia, with herding roots in the harsh environments of the Australian Outback. They have an active, loving nature, and are highly intelligent and independent. They make excellent family dogs but are not suitable for novice owners. Instead, they require an experienced handler who is comfortable with their independent nature, and willing to put in the time and energy to establish leadership and obedience training. Black Australian Shepherds make loyal, loving companions and are valued in both herding and sports activities.
Black Australian Shepherd
Black Australian Shepherds are a newer breed, developed in double dilute merle from the traditional Australian Shepherd. These dogs are characterized by their black and tan coloration, often with blue tips, as well as deep red tones. They have double coats that shed moderately and come in variations ranging from short to long coats. This family-oriented breed is gaining in popularity for its intelligence, loyalty, and protective nature. They are an excellent choice for families and are known for being good with children. Black Aussies tend to be energetic, active dogs that need plenty of exercise and attention. They also love to please their owners and make great working and agility dogs.
Do Black Australian Shepherds Make a Good Pet?
Yes, Black Australian Shepherds make excellent pets for active, experienced owners. They have an energetic and loyal personality, and with proper socialization and training, they can make wonderful family companions. They need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to avoid problem behaviors such as destructiveness and excessive barking. They can also become overly protective of their family, so proper socialization is key to ensure they know when to be alert and when to relax and enjoy themselves.
Is There a Pure Black Australian Shepherd?
There is a percentage of Australian Shepherds that are entirely or mostly black, but there are no Australian Shepherds recognized by breed standards as being purebred Black Australian Shepherds.
How Much Does a Black Australian Shepherd Cost? Are They More Expensive Than Other Colors?
The cost of a black Australian Shepherd can range from anywhere between $1,000 to $3,500 or more, depending on the breeder, bloodline, and pedigree of the puppy. Most times, black Australian Shepherds cost the same as their counterparts with different coat colors.
Places to Find Black Australian Shepherd Puppies for Sale and Adoption
- Breeders.net: Breeders.net is an online source for finding breeders of all types of dogs, including Black Australian Shepherds. You can search for breeders in your area and browse their available puppies.
- Local Veterinarians and Clinics: Many local veterinarians and clinics keep a list of breeders in their area, and may be able to point you in the right direction for locating a breeder with Black Australian Shepherds.
- Dog Rescue Organizations: Animal shelters, dog rescue organizations, and breed-specific rescue groups often have Black Australian Shepherds available for adoption. These organizations can be a great option for people looking to adopt an adult or puppy Shepherd.
- Online Pet Classifieds: Sites such as Craigslist and Kijiji often have listings for breeders and adopters of Black Australian Shepherds.
Types of Shepherd Dogs
- German Shepherd: This is probably one of the most popular and recognizable shepherd dog breeds in the world. German Shepherds are highly intelligent and are bred to work, with their instinctive herding and obedience skills making them great police and military dogs. They are loyal and protective, making them excellent family dogs as well.
- Collie: The Collie is a medium-sized dog, commonly seen in the Lassie movies and television shows. It is known for its intelligence, attentiveness, and loyalty. Collies are great family pets and can be trained to perform a variety of tasks.
- Belgian Malinois: The Belgian Malinois is a smaller breed of shepherd dog with an athletic build. The breed is highly intelligent and has an energetic nature, making them great working dogs. They are typically used by police, military, and search and rescue teams due to their intelligence and endurance.
- Australian Shepherd: The Australian Shepherd is another popular working dog breed. It is known for its keen intelligence and drive nature. They are also highly obedient and loyal, making them great family pets.
- Old English Sheepdog: The Old English Sheepdog is a large, shaggy breed of sheepdog known for its calm and steady nature. These dogs are extremely loyal and make excellent family pets. They are also known for their natural herding ability.
What Is The Personality Of A Black Australian Shepherd?
Black Australian Shepherds are loyal, highly intelligent, and independent. They are also brave, gentle, and easy to train. They love to work and need lots of positive reinforcement. They are great companions and can be expected to bond closely with their owners. They are highly active and require lots of mental stimulation and physical exercise. They thrive with consistent, positive training, and respond best to a hybrid of positive reinforcement and firmness.
Australian Shepherd Colors
American Australian Shepherds come in a wide variety of colors which include red, black, blue, merle, brown, lilac, sable, white, and tan. The patterns vary from solid color to merle tri-color, which is the most common pattern. Merle tri-color is created when the tan, black, and white genetics mix together to create a multi-colored coat.
Black Bicolor Australian Shepherds
Black Bicolor Australian Shepherds are a type of Australian Shepherd that is a combination of a black coat and white markings. They are striking in appearance and among the most popular variants of Australian Shepherds. Like all Aussies, they are known for their intelligence, loyalty, and protective instincts. Because they require a lot of mental and physical stimulation, they are best suited for active households.
Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd
The Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd is a stunning variation of the common Australian Shepherd, an Australian dog breed that originates from both Europe and the USA. The Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd is one of the commonly seen color combinations for this breed. The coat of a Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd will typically feature a mixture of black, red, and white. The black will typically be along the back of the dog and will blend into white on the chest and head. This color combination is one of the most popular because it is eye-catching, vibrant, and beautiful. In addition to the coat color of the Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd, most dogs of this breed have medium to long lengths of fur and drop ears. As befits an active working dog, the Black Tri-Color Australian Shepherd is a highly energetic breed that needs regular exercise and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy. Despite its active lifestyle, this breed is also quite loyal and friendly.
Black and Tan Australian Shepherd Puppy
Black and tan Australian Shepherds are very rare, but with the right breeder and the right puppy, you can find a beautiful black and tan Aussie! These puppies come from the Australian Shepherd breed, and with the right coat colors, you’ll end up with a unique pup of majestic beauty. Black and tan Australian Shepherds typically require more grooming and maintenance than other Aussie coat colors, so be prepared to invest some time and money into keeping their coats looking their best. These puppies will often have brown eyes and some may even have blue eyes. They will also require lots of exercise and mental stimulation, so keep that in mind when considering whether a black and tan Aussie puppy is the right fit for you and your family.
Black Merle Australian Shepherd
The Black Merle Australian Shepherd is a large, energetic breed that is known for its intelligence and loyalty. This breed is a sought-after pet, show dog and best friend. They have an exceptional personality that is sure to win the hearts of those around them. They are also very easy to train and they have a strong sense of loyalty. They are very protective of their human family and will often try to guard them from any perceived danger. This breed is a medium to long-haired breed and their coat comes in a variety of colors, with white and black being the most common. They are reserved but friendly in nature, and enjoy going on long walks or engaging in vigorous playtime with their family.
Red Merle Australian Shepherd
The Red Merle Australian Shepherd is a beautiful breed of dog that is widely known for its striking red and blue merle color. The breed comes in many variations of solid colors as well, and some may have cream or white markings. This breed is an intelligent, loyal, and energetic breed, making them a great choice for an active family. They thrive with owners who demonstrate consistent and patient training and have lots of mental and physical stimulation.
Australian Shepherd Black and White
The Black and White Australian Shepherd is a color variation of the traditional Australian Shepherd breed. These dogs are tri-colored, with a black coat, white markings, and tan trim. This variation is highly sought after due to its unique look. Like other Australian Shepherds, Black and White Australian Shepherds have a lot of energy and enthusiasm, are very intelligent, and are quick learners. They need a lot of stimulation and exercise and will thrive in homes where they receive both.
Black and Brown Australian Shepherd
The Black and Brown Australian Shepherd is a mix between two of the most popular breeds of Australian Shepherd dogs. They are known for their intelligence, loyalty, and good nature. They have an active body and like to take part in family activities. They are also great guard dogs and will protect you and your family with their strong protection instinct. They are very versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes, including agility and obedience competitions. They have a medium-length coat and come in a wide range of colors, including black, brown, red, and white.
What Color Eyes Can Black Aussies Have?
Black Aussies can have eyes of any color, from blue to brown to hazel.
Do Black Australian Shepherd Puppies Change Color as They Grow?
Yes, the coat of a Black Australian Shepherd puppy may change color as they grow. For example, they may lighten in color or develop white or red highlights. As the puppy matures, their coat can also become more curly or straight.
Black Australian Shepherd Lifespan and Health Issues:
The Australian Shepherd is a generally healthy breed with a lifespan of around 12-15 years. Common health issues in the breed may include hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, eye diseases, allergies, and some forms of cancer. A reputable breeder will provide a health certificate for the puppy’s parents. Both parents should have clear genetic testing to ensure that their puppies don’t inherit any of their parent’s health issues. It is also important to feed the Black Australian Shepherd a high-quality diet, exercise them daily, and provide routine veterinary care to ensure they live long and healthy life.
Black Australian Shepherd Pros & Cons
- High intelligence. The Australian Shepherd is a very intelligent breed known for their obedience. They can be easily trained and can learn quickly.
- Great family pets. Australian Shepherds are loyal and affectionate, making them wonderful companions for families. They are also very low-key and are great around children.
- Good-natured. Black Australian Shepherds are usually friendly and good with other animals. They are social and rarely aggressive.
- High energy levels. Black Australian Shepherds typically have high energy levels and need plenty of exercise and activity.
- Love to work. This breed is naturally drawn to participating in activities like herding, agility, and obedience.
- Shedding and grooming. Black Australian Shepherds are very double-coated and shed considerably throughout the year. They require daily brushing and occasional haircuts to keep the coat healthy and free of debris.
- Separation anxiety. These dogs prefer to stay near their owners and can suffer from separation anxiety when left alone.
- Protective and headstrong. Australian Shepherds like to have their own way and can have a protective temperament. They also need lots of socialization from an early age to prevent them from becoming unruly or aggressive.
- Expensive. Because they are a rare breed, Black Australian Shepherds can be quite expensive.
- Prone to health issues. Australian Shepherds are prone to a range of health issues, including hip and elbow dysplasia, epilepsy, and eye problems. Regular vet visits and proper check-ups are recommended to keep them healthy and happy.
Top 6 Unique Facts About the Black Australian Shepherd
- The Black Australian Shepherd originated in Australia, not in the USA.
- The coat and eye color of the Black Australian Shepherd can vary considerably from one bloodline to the next.
- The Black Australian Shepherd is an independent and loyal dog, devoted to its family and suspicious of strangers.
- The breed has a super impressive and athletic physique.
- Although Black Australian Shepherds are very intelligent, they can be a bit mischievous.
- Black Australian Shepherds are exceptionally talented in a number of sports and activities, including agility, herding, tracking, obedience, and even frisbee.
Caring for a Black Australian Shepherd
Black Australian shepherds are loyal, loving, and intelligent dogs that make great companions for many people. As with any pet, your black Australian shepherd will need consistent, lifelong care to stay happy and healthy. Here are a few tips for taking care of your new companion:
- Provide Proper Grooming: A black Australian shepherd needs regular grooming to maintain a healthy coat and look its best. Brush your dog’s coat daily with a slicker brush to get rid of tangles and mats. Bathe your shepherd approximately once a month, unless it gets especially dirty or smelly. In addition, clip its nails and clean its ears regularly to prevent irritation or infections.
- Exercise and Mental Stimulation: Black Australian shepherds are high-energy, working dogs and require a good amount of physical and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy. Take your dog on daily walks, hikes, and trips to the dog park to get it the exercise it needs. Also, offer some activities that will challenge your dog mentally, such as playing hide-and-seek or learning new tricks.
- Give Good Nutrition: Feed your black Australian shepherd quality food that is formulated for its size and breed. Choose a food that is rich in animal proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. Be sure to provide your dog with plenty of fresh water and divide food into mealtimes instead of leaving the bowl out all day.
- Visit the Vet: It’s essential that you make regular visits to the vet to keep your black Australian shepherd healthy and prevent any potential health problems. Be sure to stay on top of your dog’s vaccinations, deworming, nail trimming, and other veterinary care.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to keep your black Australian shepherd happy and healthy for many years to come.
Q. How rare are black Australian Shepherds?
A. Black Australian Shepherds are very rare. They are not officially recognized by the Australian Shepherd Club of America and are considered a mix of Australian Shepherd and Labrador Retriever. Their coat color is a result of genetic mutation and is not typically found in established Australian Shepherd lines.
Q. What is the rarest color of Australian Shepherds?
A. The rarest color of Australian Shepherds is Red Merle. This color is difficult to come by and generally has a high price tag.
Q. Are black, tri-color Australian shepherds genetically different from other Australian shepherds?
A. The tri-color Australian Shepherd is not a genetically different breed from a standard Australian Shepherd. The difference between the two is that tri-color Aussies have a unique coloring pattern due to a genetic mutation that affects the presence and distribution of certain pigmentation in their coat. These dogs have a black and tan pattern with white markings present in various combinations.
The Black Australian Shepherd is a beautiful, highly intelligent, and loyal breed of dog. They are easy to train, have great temperaments, and are a good choice for owners looking for an active companion. They require plenty of exercise and lots of love and attention to stay well-balanced and happy. Their striking black and white coats and friendly and loving personality make them great family pets.