20 Best Training Collar for Stubborn Dogs That Actually Work | If you’ve ever owned a dog that just won’t listen no matter what you do, you know how frustrating it can be. You’ve probably tried everything from scolding to treats, but nothing seems to work.
Luckily, there are other options out there that can help you train your dog more effectively. One of these options is using a training collar. Training collars are designed to help you reinforce commands and correct bad behavior in a way that is safe and humane.
However, with so many different types and brands of training collars on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for your dog. To help you make the best decision, we’ve compiled a list of the best training collars for stubborn dogs that actually work.
Why You Might Need a Training Collar for Your Stubborn Dog
Before you invest in a training collar for your dog, it’s important to understand why your pooch might benefit from one. In addition to correcting bad behavior and training your dog in fun new behaviors, collars can also help ease anxiety in dogs that have separation issues or have been previously abused.
In fact, anxiety is a very common reason that dogs wear a training collar. What’s more, using a training collar can prevent your dog from injuring himself or others, which is why some vets even recommend that anxious dogs wear one for their own safety.
20 Best Training Collars for Stubborn Dogs That Actually Work
When it comes to training collars, the DAPPER Dog Training Collar has one of the most impressive track records for calming anxious dogs and preventing injury. This item is made by the same company that makes the world-renowned CALM Collar, which is designed to be used:
1. Remote Trainer Dogtra IQ-PLUS
This Dogtra IQ-Plus trainer collar is ideal for growing dogs. It can help you control your dog’s bad behavior by training them in a more effective way.
Although the collar appears to be small, it has a lot of functionality. The transmitter comes in handy when it comes to ensuring that your dog receives proper training.
With this collar, you can improve your dog’s behavior with just one hand and from afar. Waterproof and water-resistant, the collar is a must-have accessory.
Two dogs can be trained simultaneously with the collar’s remote. The collar is extremely long-lasting and convenient to wear.
The batteries can last up to six hours on a single charge and are fully charged in just two hours. If you want to charge both your remote and your collar at the same time, there is a splitter cable available.
- There are 100 different types of stimulation.
- The design is compact and easy to use.
- Charge quickly
- Batteries in the collar can be replaced.
- The collar as well as the remote are both waterproof.
- The collar as well as the remote are both waterproof.
- It’s not cheap.
2. Dog Care Dog Training Collar
The security padlock system on the Dog Care Dog Training Collar is well-known for locking the remote when not in use. This feature protects your dog by preventing you from accidentally shocking him.
This collar has nine transmission channels, allowing you to simultaneously train nine dogs. There are three different stimulation modes to choose from.
- Accidental shocks are avoided by using a security keypad.
- You can train up to nine dogs at the same time.
- There are three training modes on the collar, and it can fit dogs of any size.
- It only has a 330-yard range.
3. Remote Trainer Dogtra IQ
Another good collar for small dogs is the Dogtra IQ collar. There are three vibration modes and a distance range of up to 400 yards.
It is designed with a reduced receiver, so small dogs will not be harmed. The collar charges quickly, taking only 2 hours to charge completely.
- Small dogs will benefit from the size of the collar.
- From 0 to 100, there are different levels of stimulation.
- It has a 400-yard range.
- It has functioning indicator of battery life
- To work at all times, it must be water-resistant.
- Hairy dogs prevent the contacts from penetrating.
4. PetTech Remote-Controlled Dog Shock Collar
This PetTech collar comes with a slew of high-end features that have made it a hit with pet parents. This collar is for your stubborn dogs who need to be trained and have their behavior corrected.
It includes a large LCD remote control as well as a monitor with four different stimulation modes. This collar also has an audio warning system that alerts your dog to impending shocks.
- The stimulation modes on the collar are as follows:
- To alert your dog to the impending shock, play an audio warning.
- Backlighting on the collar is blue.
- A battery with a long life expectancy
- The collar’s remote includes an auto-sleep function.
5. Petrainer Waterproof And Rechargeable Dog Shock Collar
The 330-yard or 900-foot range of the Petrainer waterproof and rechargeable dog shock collar is impressive. This collar allows you to keep an eye on your dog while also allowing you to communicate with him from afar.
If your dog exhibits unruly behavior, excessive barking, or aggression, this dog collar can be used to discipline them. The intensity of three different stimulation modes ranges from 0 to 100.
- The collar is made of TPU and can be adjusted in width.
- Excellent service to customers
- The waterproof design of the collar is a plus.
- The shock can be inconsistent when the button is pressed.
6. DT Systems IDT-Plus Micro Dog Trainer Collar
The DT Systems IDT – Plus Micro Dog Trainer Collar has a range of up to 900 yards, making it an excellent choice for long-range training. Momentary, continuous, and gentle to mild stimulation modes are all available.
The stimulation in this collar is divided into 16 levels, with the 16th level being the most intense. It comes with a single remote that can be used to train up to three dogs at once.
For added security, the collar has an automatic shut-off feature.
- There are 16 levels of stimulation.
- The collar has a 900-yard range of operation.
- A single remote can be used to train three dogs at once.
- Lightweight and very handy
- Includes rechargeable nickel batteries with a long life span.
- For safety, it has an auto-shutoff feature.
- Some parts aren’t completely watertight.
- Transmission issues can arise when training multiple dogs.
7. Bousnic Shock Collar For Dogs
For owners and trainers looking for a short-range collar, the Bousnic training collar is a good choice. It’s a rechargeable collar that’s waterproof.
This collar has a 1000-foot range, making it ideal for dogs that like going for walks in the park but don’t want to be too far away from their owners or trainers.
Vibration, beep, and safe shock are the three stimulation modes available on the Bousnic collar within a 1000-foot range. These parameters may be adjusted to a maximum of 16 levels of intensity, with 16 being the highest.
This collar may be used for two dogs at once by pet owners who have several pets. This collar also has two channels for controlling and operating both animals at the same time.
- There are several possibilities for training.
- For the best dog control, use two remotes.
- a collar that is water resistant
- With a phone adapter, batteries may be charged.
- Shock may not be helpful for certain dogs because to the collar’s proneness to wearing out.
8. Patpet Waterproof Dog Training Collar P-Collar 640
Vibrating, beeping, and static training modes are available for owners and trainers with the Patpet Waterproof P-Collar 640. In this collar, there are 16 intensity levels, with 16 being the most powerful.
This collar has a 3000 foot range, making it ideal for dog trainers, dog owners, and hunters that want long-range control. The collar and remote are both waterproof, so it may be used in all weather.
Lithium batteries are used in the device, which are both easy to recharge and last longer between charges.
- Controls at a distance of 3000 feet.
- There are a variety of training modalities.
- It is waterproof and may be used in all types of weather. It has 16 levels of stimulation.
- The batteries are not replaceable.
9. Garmin Delta XC Bundle
The Garmin Delta XC Bundle Dog Training Collar is the greatest alternative for you if you’re seeking for a high-tech dog training collar. This collar comes in a variety of combinations and is quite helpful.
Three-button controllers with excellent intuitive modes are included with this collar. It also has an LCD screen that aids dog owners in controlling and training their pets.
The continuous and momentary stimulation modes, as well as vibrations and tones, are available in this collar. Trainers and owners can train up to three dogs at once using just one receiver.
The Garmin Delta collar has 18 levels of stimulation, allowing for a very smooth training experience. The collar has a 12-mile range and can be used on the field for training.
This dog collar is also water-resistant, with IPX71 certification, ensuring that it can be used in the rain.
- Collar with exceptional durability
- It’s easy to use.
- There are three options for configuration.
- The collar has a long lifespan.
- Changeable/replaceable contact points, both long and short.
- The battery is of excellent quality and will last for a long time.
For proper training and operation, an additional guide is required.
10. Dogtra Edge Long Range High-Output 1-Mile Waterproof 4-Dog Expandable Remote Dog Training E-Collar
The Dogtra Edge E-collar is designed to work on its own, with an easy-to-use transmitter and receiver. This collar has a feature that allows you to train up to four dogs at once, as well as a button that allows you to communicate with your dog.
The dog’s performance is monitored via an LCD screen. A one-mile range is included in the training collar.
To give you a great optimized light-tracking mode, the collar has a beacon and the receiver has an LED light. There are two types of correction modes: one in which the nick remains for one or two seconds, and the other in which the nick remains for twelve seconds continuously.
The color of the beacons, receivers, and even the LED light can be customized in a variety of ways. Even large dogs up to 35 pounds can be trained using the Dogtra E-collar.
- There are two different modes of correction.
- There are numerous color choices available to you.
- The choice of correction level is secure.
- Range of 1 mile
- At one time, four dogs can be trained.
- A pager vibration is used to deliver vibration on the LCD screens to check progress.
- Quite costly.
11. Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar
For stubborn dogs, particularly small dogs, the Educator E-collar is the best training collar. With 100 stimulation levels, this is the most effective training collar.
This collar provides a very low level of stimulation, making it ideal for puppies and sensitive dogs. It is, without a doubt, a fantastic collar that pet parents trust and adore.
- A stopwatch transmitter is among the features.
- With a range of 12 miles.
- Is suitable for dogs weighing 5 pounds and up and provides a vibration-like stimulation
- Only two hours of charging is required to last the entire day.
- The collar’s batteries are only good for 6 to 9 months and must be replaced after that.
12. Remote Trainers by Sportdog Brand 425x
SportDog’s collars are beautifully designed and are ideal for dog owners and trainers who wish to employ technology to keep their pets in line. This collar has a 500-yard range and can add two extra collars with the remote.
This collar has three stimulation modes: buzzing, static, and beep, which may be set to be intermittent or continuous. Because it uses DryTek technology, this is a highly safe alternative for both trainers and owners. Even if submerged up to 25 feet in water, the collar will remain waterproof.
The lithium-ion rechargeable batteries in this collar may be fully charged in about two hours. A little low battery indicator is also included to remind you when it’s time to recharge.
- It is waterproof up to 25 feet in water and has a range of up to 500 yards from the remote control.
- Up to three collars may be controlled by one remote.
- There are a variety of training choices for dogs of various breeds.
- It’s not easy to get things done.
- Changing the collar’s settings might be challenging.
13. Smart Dog Training Collar from PetSafe
Our selection for the finest training collar for resistant dogs on a budget is the PetSafe Smart Dog Training Collar. It has a 75-yard range and a rechargeable battery, ensuring that it is always ready to use. It’s great for dog training, and it’s compatible with both the iPhone and Android operating systems, so you can change the color with your smartphone.
The PetSafe Smart Dog Training Collar has one disadvantage: not everyone owns a smartphone, despite the fact that most people do. The Bluetooth signal was also weak, and it didn’t always control the collar effectively because you had to unlock your phone before making any adjustments.
- The 75-yard range is one of the advantages.
- Battery is rechargable
- Your smartphone is required.
- Bluetooth isn’t a reliable connection.
14. SportHunter 825X
For stubborn dogs, we recommend the SportHunter 825X training collar. It has 21 levels of stimulation so you can find the exact amount of shock your dog needs to correct his behavior.
You don’t have to keep the dog nearby because it has a 12-mile range. Once your dog understands what the collar is telling it, you can also switch to vibration or tone. It’s waterproof to a depth of 25 feet, so you won’t have to worry about your dog jumping in the water, and the batteries are rechargeable, so it’ll always be ready to use.
The SportHunter 825X was a pleasure to use and proved to be quite effective. Aside from the high price, the only drawback we can find is the lack of an automatic shut-off, which is a feature that some other brands offer to reduce stress and prevent injury by turning off the color if the dog continues to bark.
- 21 stimulation levels
- Vibration and tone options are available as an add-on.
- Rechargeable batteries, waterproof to 25 feet
- There is no auto-shutoff.
15. High Tech Pet Products ET-1 Radio Dog Training Collar
Another electric collar with an easy-to-use transmitter that allows you to train up to three dogs at the same time is the High Tech Pet Products ET-1 “Express Train” Electronic Radio Dog Training Collar.
If you want to teach more than one dog at the same time, you’ll need to acquire extra colors. You may use positive and negative tones instead of electric shocks if your dog is a rapid learner, and we’ve had a lot of success with it.
The High Tech Pet Products ET-1’s disadvantage was that it didn’t have the claimed 12-mile range, and we often discovered the transmitter operating sporadically at considerably closer ranges. We also discovered that it depletes the battery in a matter of hours, so you’ll need to keep it charged at all times to ensure that it’s ready to use when you need it.
- Positive and negative tones are both advantageous.
- The transmitter is very user-friendly.
- Up to three dogs can be worked on at a time.
- Range is 12 miles.
- It didn’t work for the whole half-mile distance.
- The battery has a short lifespan.
16. Frisco Rechargeable Waterproof
The Frisco Waterproof Rechargeable Dog Training Collar has a 34-mile range, allowing you to handle your dog even if you can’t see it. It includes 127 stimulation levels and a safety system to avoid overstimulation. Adjustments are made simpler and quicker thanks to the LCD screen, which also comes with detailed step-by-step instructions.
Unfortunately, the Frisco Manger’s extended range rapidly depletes the battery, so you can only train for short periods of time before needing to recharge it. It’s quite pricey, and you can’t always see your dog that far away, as with other versions with a range of 12 miles or more.
- ¾ of a mile range
- There are 127 levels of stimulation.
- Display: LCD
- It quickly loses its charge
- Very expensive
17. Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Training Dog Prong Collar
The only steel prong type collar on our list is the Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Training Dog Prong Collar. These tried-and-true collars are both very effective and inexpensive.
It’s ideal for big dogs and situations in which you can’t afford to take any chances with the dog misbehaving. It’s simple to use; you just put it on like any other collar and connect a leash, and when you tug on it, it sends a clear signal to the dog to halt whatever it’s doing.
While effective, the Herm Sprenger and other hues similar to it are simple to mishandle, leading in neck damage if you are not cautious.
- There is no electricity.
- It’s possible that the dog may suffer harm as a result of this.
- It’s all too easy to go overboard when it comes to exercise.
18. Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar
This gadget serves as a one-stop shop for all of your dog’s training requirements. Its easy-to-read OLED panel lets you choose from a variety of modes and stimulation levels; the Momentary and Continuous choices let them play with their favorite toy while learning new skills! There are also three vibration levels to choose from when teaching your dog how much fun obedience can be (low bass tone).
The finest part about this product is that it may be utilized in a variety of situations while maintaining its prior configuration. There’s also a no-sleep mode, which users like since it eliminates the need to manually switch off their devices when they’re not in use — just push one button and you’re done!
With a range of 1312 yards, a novel collar has been developed. This dog training collar is a high-tech option. It is simple to utilize the transmitter.
Up to three dogs may be trained at the same time. Outdoor stubborn training need additional collars.
A high-quality, robust collar strap is included with the box. There’s also a test light provided.
Each function may be set up to avoid causing significant harm.
- You may change the correction levels to suit your preferences.
- To preserve prior settings, use the memory feature.
- Built per hunter’s specifications.
- There is no sleep mode, therefore the battery barely lasts 2 days.
- The shock might be fatal for small and ill pets.
19. PetSpy P620B Dog Training Shock Collar
The PetSpy P620B Dog Training Shock Collar is ideal for dog owners who don’t have the time or abilities to teach their pets. This gadget gives you complete control over your pet’s training while allowing you to see what they’re doing, making it simpler than ever!
A loud noise is the most effective technique to catch your dog’s attention, yet they may not react when you call them. This specific collar features three functions that may be used in combination to aid behavioral training by giving intense stimulation while also ensuring dogs pay adequate attention to food or other incentives on their own terms!
- For medium- and big dogs, a simple and successful dog training approach.
- It is simple to set up and operate, making it perfect for novice dog owners. Another collar may be added to the system as well.
- This blind operation equipment is great for reluctant canines to be trained. There are 16 different intensity levels to choose from.
- This waterproof collar is ideal for teaching difficult dogs. A training manual is included as well.
When pushing the button, some consumers claim that the stimulation stops. Our examination, on the other hand, revealed no such issue.
20. Professional 2020 K9 Dog Shock Training Collar
Did you know that the TBI Pro Dog Training System is the world’s best-selling canine behavior modification system? The Professional 2020 K9 Collar helps you teach your dog for defense or friendship by using science-based training techniques. Thousands of customers have used it to great success all across the globe!
These tough and obstinate dogs are be difficult to train when it comes to social interaction in their surroundings; nevertheless, our system will offer them with everything they need – from basic instructions like sit/stay to Pavlovian signals that are learnt only through repetition!
This technique has been discovered to be a good match for big breed canines as well as obstinate individuals who are rebellious, according to the maker and numerous customers.
A 2000ft effective range advanced microprocessor-based dog training device.
For huge, difficult dogs, the TBI Pro is the perfect collar. The battery lasts 15 days and just takes two hours to completely charge.
With three training levels and 100 levels of intensity, this is the most powerful training collar available.
With its super-long reach, you can manage the dog. No disobedience is allowed.
- The most dependable brand is TBI Pro.
- You have the ability to do it flawlessly and without errors.
- When dealing with obstinate dogs, this method is really effective.
- The remote control has a bright light.
- The screen does not have adequate brightness to be used in direct sunshine or in very bright light.
How to Choose the Right Training Collar for Your Stubborn Dog
The following are ways to choose the right training collar for your stubborn dog:
- Comfort: A good training collar should be comfortable to wear. Your dog should also be comfortable wearing it.
- Durability: Choose a collar that is strong enough to withstand your dog’s constant pulling and biting. If If it’s damaged, it can be replaced.
- Ergonomics: The collar should be easy to adjust and comfortable for your dog.
- Fits: Try a few different collars to find the one that fits your dog correctly.
- Mode of Control: Some collars allow you to set different levels of stimulation, while others let you choose from one of three levels.
- Range: Choose a collar with the best range, whether it is 600 feet or 2 miles.
- Functionality: The functionality of the collar should be convenient to you. It should also be easy to adjust and repair.
- Replacement Batteries: A collar with a battery that lasts long enough will help you train your dog. A battery that runs out quickly makes training frustrating.
- Price: For a quality collar, expect to pay between $100 and $300. The brand and the model of the collar are important, but the price will depend on your personal needs and budget. You can use both the hand-held device and the remote control to train your dog. The remote control is attached to a long strap, which you can use to walk with your dog.
How to Use a Training Collar Effectively on Your Stubborn Dog
The following are important tips for training your dog with a remote collar:
1. Obedience Training:
Start obedience training on a low level to start with. After two weeks, increase the setting so that your dog responds well to the stimulation.
2. Step Up:
Before starting any training, wait for a few days to see if the collar has an adverse effect on your dog. If it does, you will have to start from the beginning.
3. Schedule Training:
Once you have set up the collar to your liking, put it on your dog every day and give him a short training session. Be sure to only train when your dog is wearing the collar.
4. Avoid Overloading:
Do not use the collar to correct your dog while you are walking him. If he runs in front of a moving car, both of you will get hurt.
The Best Training Collar for Large Stubborn Dogs
Large dogs are often stubborn, so you need to choose the right collar that will not cause injury or discomfort. You should consider your dog’s size and whether he would fit in the suggested size range of the collar.
You should also consider the type of collar that would be best for you and your dog. If you are looking to train your big dog, a shock-free training collar is the perfect solution.
This type of collar will not shock your dog because it has a long range and you adjust the level of stimulation manually. This type of collar comes in three levels: mild, medium, and strong.
The level of stimulation will depend on the level of aggression your dog displays. Training this kind of collar is simple because you do not have to set up any kind of frequency or time parameters. It will only require the two of you to be in the same room.
The Best Training Collar for Small Stubborn Dogs
On the other hand, if you have a small dog who is not fully grown yet, a long-range training collar might not be the best choice. This type of collar will work best for small dogs because it is accurate and requires minimal adjustments for different levels of stimulation.
There are two levels of this collar: short range and long range. The short range collar has a range of about 5 feet while the long range collar has a range of about 50 feet.
The Best Training Collar for Medium Stubborn Dogs
If you have a stubborn dog with issues ranging from aggression to house training, a medium-range collar might be the best choice. This collar has a long range, and it can be adjusted for different levels of intensity.
The collar has a vibration feature that only activates when the dog is close to the collar. It also comes with two types of collars: a regular and a flat collar. The regular collar is placed around the dog’s neck and then adjusted to fit your dog.
The flat collar can be fitted on top of the regular collar. If you have a medium-size dog, the regular collar is better suited to use.
The Best Training Collar for Large, Aggressive Dogs
Training your dog can be a challenging process, especially if you have a stubborn pooch. Obedience training is an important part of owning a dog, but it’s also time-consuming and requires patience.
Fortunately, there are a variety of training collars on the market that can help make training easier. This list of 20 best training collar for dogs reviews considers factors such as price, effectiveness, comfort, and durability. We also took into account customer feedback to ensure that these collars are worth your money.
Final Thoughts: Best Training Collar for Stubborn Dogs
Dogs that are stubborn or have a lot of anxiety can benefit from training collars. These collars use different methods of stimulation to help the dog learn new behaviors or correct bad ones. If you’re looking for a collar that will work for your pet, one of the best options is the Dogtra IQ-Plus collar. The Garmin Delta XC Bundle Dog Training Collar is the perfect alternative for those seeking a high-tech dog collar.